Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2018

The One Reason I Like Taylor Swift



Well now I've really done it to myself. I admitted that I like Taylor Swift. There is one specific reason that I pay attention to her music. Before you either laud me or condemn me, I would like to explain why.



1 Corinthians 7:18-20 says this:"18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin[e] a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."

We live in a very sexually immoral world today. It pervades life, and is a large part of most people's lives. If we take a look at the lyrics from some of Taylor Swift's songs, we see that. But this is the one reason I like her: she is honest. Honest about what the world struggles with today, and what she sees happening. Take this lyrics from the song "New Romantics" from her album 1989.

"Baby we're the new romantics / come on, come along with me.

Heartbreak is the national anthem / we sing it proudly."

Unfortunately, those words are all too true in today's culture. Teenagers (and young adults) rush into relationships, which often end in heartbreak. Love is not treated with reverence, as something special to be waited upon, but is looked upon casually. 

"Oh my [gosh], look at that face, / You look like my next mistake

Love's a game, wanna play?"

These words from her song "Blank Space" reiterate that worldview which is so common today. Casual love and dating is the new norm. Have fun while you can. In short, it is all about self

I hope I have given you something to think about today, even if it is only for a few minutes. This is something that God really put on my heart to share with you all. I also hope that you come away with a different point of view on Taylor Swift's music, whether you like her or not. 

-Amelia



1 comment:

  1. Hmm. I never thought about it this way before, but that makes a lot of sense. Personally, I don't really listen to modern pop, (I don't really like the sound :D ) but I've definitely seen these messages in our culture. You're right that she's honest. If we want to know what's happening around us, there's no need to look further than the airwaves.

    Thanks for a thought-provoking post!

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete